Legal Info for Victims of Sex Assault or Abuse
Page last updated: January 4, 2017
- Pennsylvania & New Jersey Sex Assault Lawsuits – Does the Victim Have to Testify? (May 11, 2017) Does a victim in a sex assault lawsuit in Pennsylvania or New Jersey have to testify in court? This is one of the first questions a victim will ask. After, it’s daunting to think about testifying in open court about the assault and how it affected them. This article explains the odds of a testifying ...
Priest & Pastor Sex Abuse Legal Articles
- Is Pennsylvania Reforming Laws for Child Sex Abuse Survivors? (October 5, 2015) For the last 5 years, Pennsylvania legislators have considered multiple bills aimed at protecting victims of child molestation and child sex abuse. Statute of limitations reform is the first step. However, due to lobbying efforts by various religious and educational groups, no bill has made it through the legislature. Get the latest.
- Determining Success of a Priest & Church Sexual Abuse Lawsuit in PA & NJ (August 24, 2014) What makes a priest or church abuse lawsuit successful in Pennsylvania or New Jersey? Getting over the statute of limitations hurdle is the first issue. Then, there are many issues to consider, such as where the case is filed, the strength of the evidence. Each case varies.
- A Look at a Recent NJ Priest Sex Abuse Lawsuit (August 15, 2014) Like practically every state in the country, New Jersey has seen its fair share of priest/church sex abuse scandals. In 2014, the Diocese of Trenton was embroiled in a scandal involving 1 priest and 3 victims.
- Priest & Church Sexual Abuse Lawsuits in NJ or PA – Pattern of Wrongdoing & Misrepresentation (August 7, 2014) When it comes to child molestation by church employees like priests, pastors, etc., church institutions often succumb to an inherent desire to avoid investigations. Oftentimes, victims who report sex abuse and misconduct to church officials are lied to or otherwise bullied into silence. Time and time again, our sex abuse lawyers see church institutions engaging in patterns of wrongdoing aimed entirely at protecting themselves at the cost of victims.
School & Teacher Sex Abuse Legal Articles
- New Jersey Teachers – Sex Abuse of Students 2016 Cases (October 18, 2016) Employees of schools in New Jersey including teachers, assistants, coaches and principals are facing criminal charges of sexually abusing students. Get the latest info on these school abuse criminal cases in 2016.
- Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Teacher Arrested for Sex Abuse of Two Girls (August 4, 2016) Pennsylvania faces yet another scandal involving a teacher accused of abusing a student. A teacher in Montgomery County, PA was arrested and charged with sexually abusing two young teens.
- Recent Pennsylvania Teacher Sex Abuse News – PA Boarding School Teacher Arrested for Sex Abuse (August 3, 2015) Students at boarding schools are particularly susceptible to on-campus sex abuse by both staff and fellow students. This is also true of overnight camps. Schools and camps may be held liable under Pennsylvania law when a student is abused.
- Recent NJ Teacher Student Sex Abuse Cases (July 21, 2015) Student sex abuse reports have been increasing across the country, including Pennsylvania and New Jersey. A Catholic high school teacher in New Jersey was arrested for having sex with a student and faces sex assault and child endangerment charges.
- Civil Lawsuits for Sex Abuse in Child, Youth Centers in PA & NJ (July 15, 2015) Are child and youth centers in Pennsylvania and New Jersey liable when an employee or student commits sexual abuse? Liability depends on whether the school knew or had reason to know about the behavior and failed to take action.
- Pennsylvania Schools & Sex Abuse by Teachers – Changes in Education Law (December 1, 2014) Sex abuse and assault in schools is a major problem in the U.S., and Pennsylvania is no exception. There have been literally dozens of these cases out of Pennsylvania. Teachers, principals, and coaches in Pennsylvania have been criminally prosecuted for sexually abusing a student.
- Sexually Abused by a Teacher in Pennsylvania? What to Know About Your Legal Rights (July 16, 2014) Students who have been sexually abused or assaulted in a school setting in Pennsylvania have legal rights in both the criminal and civil courts. Learn about civil legal rights, including the right to seek financial compensation from the perpetrator and the school.
Sex Assault & Abuse
- Pain & Suffering – Getting Compensation in a Sex Assault or Abuse Lawsuit in New Jersey or Pennsylvania (December 13, 2016) Victims of sex abuse or assault may be able to receive monetary compensation for pain and suffering. In this legal article, Brian Kent, Esq. discusses evidentiary issues and how to best present evidence of pain and suffering in sex abuse/assault lawsuits in Pennsylvania or New Jersey.
- Does Repressed Memory of Child Sex Abuse Toll New Jersey’s Statute of Limitations for Lawsuits? (November 11, 2016) What is the repressed memory theory? Under the theory, an adult may recall child sex abuse that was previously repressed by the brain. Recent NJ court cases open the door on this historically troubled theory. In certain cases, NJ courts may allow evidence of repressed memory.
- Sex Assault Victims in Pennsylvania or New Jersey – What to Know About Your Civil Legal Rights (September 7, 2016) Civil lawsuits often give victims of sex assault the ability to get the justice that the criminal system cannot deliver. Prosecutions in the criminal justice system may be unsuccessful. However, a civil lawsuit often succeeds even when the criminal prosecution fails.
- Amending Civil & Criminal Statute of Limitations Laws for Child Sex Abuse – Pennsylvania Legislation Watch (April 25, 2016) Lawmakers across the country have stepped up efforts to amend statute of limitations laws in both criminal and civil cases of sex abuse or assault of children. Pennsylvania has faced multiple large-scale child molestation investigations involving churches and schools. PA’s legislature has been considering law changes in the most recent session.
- Promoting Awareness about Sexual Assault – A Discussion by a New Jersey Sex Abuse Lawyer (March 1, 2016) Over the last few years, there has been increased awareness of sex assault. There’s been national media coverage of scandals in New Jersey. As a result, many schools and churches have sought to promote awareness of child sex abuse. Parents, however, are the first line of defense.
- PA Child Sex Abuse Lawyer Discusses the Devastating Effects of Sex Abuse & Victims Coming Forward Years After the Abuse (December 21, 2015) Victims of sex abuse and assault often wait years or decades before revealing the abuse. This is one of the most devastating effects of child molestation. Predators often groom children and develop loving, trusting relationships before abusing them. This creates great emotional confusion for children, especially when the abuse continues for longer periods of time.
- Punitive Damages Claims in New Jersey Sexual Abuse & Assault Lawsuits (June 1, 2015) Punitive damages claims are allowed under New Jersey law in sex abuse and assault lawsuits. These claims are meant to punish a defendant for especially egregious conduct, such as committing acts of abuse or protecting a known abuser.
- Mandatory Reporting Requirements – Reporting Known or Suspected Child Sex Abuse in PA and NJ What are the legal requirements for reporting child molestation? Pennsylvania and New Jersey laws vary greatly. Get a detailed summary about the laws.
Resources in Pennsylvania & New Jersey for Victims of Abuse
Pennsylvania Office of Victim Advocate Pennsylvania provides help for victims of crime. This webpage discusses the help available in criminal cases, including financial compensation.
Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape This nonprofit organization provides support including medical, legal and emotional support.
New Jersey Office of the Attorney General Victim Witness Advocacy – Bill of Rights What are a crime victim’s rights in criminal cases, as the prosecuting witness? A look at New Jersey Statutes Annotated, Section 52:4B-36.
New Jersey Office of the Attorney General – Victims of Crime Compensation Office Learn about the eligibility requirements to obtain compensation if you’ve been the victim of crime in New Jersey.
New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault This nonprofit organization provides support for victims of sex assault in New Jersey.