Yet another Philadelphia area Catholic priest is facing criminal charges for sexual abuse of a 10 year old altar boy. Suspended priest, Andrew McCormick, was arrested last week in the Philadelphia area.
He has been charged with involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, statutory sexual assault, sexual assault, endangering the welfare of a child, corrupting the morals of a minor, indecent assault and indecent exposure.
McCormick was one of more than 20 priests put on administrative leave after an investigation by former Philadelphia prosecutor, Gina Smith. Two months ago, several Philadelphia area priests were deemed unsuitable for ministry:
- George Cadwallader, 58,
- Msgr. Francis Feret, 75,
- Robert Povish, 47,
- John Reardon, 65, and
- Thomas Rooney, 61.
McCormick served as a priest at the following parishes:
- Saint Adalbert Parish, Northeast Philadelphia (1982-1986),
- Saint John Cantius Parish, Philadelphia (1986-2000),
- Saint Bede the Venerable Parish, Holland (2000-2004), and
- Sacred Heart Parish, Swedesburg (2004-2011).
At a press conference, Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams urged other victims to come forward. Victims of priest and clergy abuse in the Philadelphia area can call the Special Victims Unit at 215-685-3252 or the District Attorney’s Family Violence and Sexual Assault Unit at 215-686-8080.
Related Philadelphia Priest Abuse Articles:
- Filing Criminal Charges Against a Sex Abuser in Pennsylvania – What You Should Consider
- How to Decide to File a Child Sex Abuse Lawsuit Against a Priest or Clergy Member
- The Catholic Church Priest Sex Abuse Scandal
For more information, contact Brian Kent, a former sex crimes unit prosecutor and now civil sex abuse victims lawyer in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Mr. Kent offers free, confidential consultations to all victims of sex abuse. 800.220.7600
Sources: http://catholicphilly.com/media-files/2012/05/Archbishop-Chaput-remarks-at-press-conference.pdf; http://archphila.org/HHHIC/doc/Priest%20AL_Resolution%20Chart_05-04-2012.pdf; Philly.com, Suspended Philly priest is charged with sexual assault, July 28, 2012